Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Herencia's 2013 L.A. County Fair Show - The Sequel! - Week 41

Lights, cameras, action!  Welcome back for the L.A. County Fair sequel! Part one was a big hit, climbing straight to the top of the One Big Wedo reading charts! Thank you!  A special shout out to my readers in Sweden this week!  I also want to say hello to my new friends from Ballet Folklorico UTPB (University Of Texas Permian Basin).  Welcome aboard the Wedo train! Also want to say hello to all my new followers on my Facebook page - One Big Wedo (Guero). Thanks for "like"ing me.  Haven't been to my page yet?  Take a visit and "like" me to join the fun!  I even got a new Twitter follower!  Wow!  I have three now!  What a busy week in the world of Wedoness!



So where did we leave off?  That's right, Carmen and Yolanda took the stage, wearing Herencia Jalisco and Veracruz costuming, to introduce the group and announce the show!  The two women shared with the audience a brief overview highlighting Herencia's 23 year history here in Southern California.  I will be sharing that history and more in next week's post "Who Is Herencia Mexicana? A History!"  Here is a video clip of the intro courtesy of folkloricochannel on YouTube:

 
This year's show was composed of all experienced adult dancers (and one Wedo).  Richard put together a high energy show, sure to keep audience members engaged, interested and entertained. The dances were purely Herencia in their choreography and very recognizable Richard stylizing.

The first Region presented was Sinaloa.  Two songs were danced.  The first song, Vuela Paloma, was performed by all women.  The six women performed in new head-to-toe costuming.  Then the men joined in for the second number called El Pato Asado.  Check out these photos from the show of Sinaloa. Thank you Folklorico Page and others for the pictures.  I had several readers contribute pictures for the blog this week!
 
 






































You can watch the Sinaloa videos from the show on YouTube!  Here are the links  to view them! You're only a click away:
 
 
 
When the men joined in, I was the first man to run out onto the stage!  I think Richard planned it that way on purpose.  He always goes above and beyond to give me an extra special experience.  Perhaps because he knows I'm going to write my review!  Just kidding! There was a lot of energy and excitement in the air.  We had a real nice turn out for the show.  A lot of friends and family! Thank you to everyone who came out and supported the group.  I even heard a few people yell out "Wedo" from the audience!  How cool is that!

Next, it was time for the Baja California Region.  The Romo sisters took the stage for two dances. The names of the songs they performed to are La Loba Del Mar and Palomita Linda.  The sisters appeared courtesy of Ballet Folklorico Sol de Mexico.  This was the only portion of the show that was not specifically Herencia Mexicana's dances, choreography or costumes.  They did an outstanding job.  Here are some pictures of the Baja California Region and YouTube links to their performance.  Thank you ladies for helping us with the show and dancing with Herencia!
 






 
The video links:
 
 
 
The next Region presented was Chihuahua.  One of my personal favorites.  I even purchased a brand new hat just for the Fair!  Again, new costumes were worn by the women in the pink and blue dresses.  The green is also fairly new.  Lookin' good ladies.  All the women wore new petty coats and hairpieces too. The Chihuahua Region had the least amount of practice time before the show and it was evident.  A little rough around the edges!  Nonetheless, it was the Region I received the most compliments on afterwards!  Go figure!  The three dances presented were Santa Rita, La Difficultosa, and La Jesusita. Chihuahua is commonly a Region that is associated with Herencia.  We have been sought out for this Region alone on several occasions.  Here are some pictures and the video links:
 
Chiapas was next.  Seven ladies from Sol took the stage.  They rocked it.  This was  one of my favorite parts of the whole show as I watched the video afterwards.  These seven ladies auditioned to dance in the show!  The two dances performed were El Rascapetate and Las Chiapanecas.  Outstanding job!  I loved the choreography and constant movement.  Visually, it was like watching fireworks in my opinion.  Richard commented to me, "I have taught these Chiapas dances and choreography to several groups, this is the first time a group has performed it the way I intended." Doesn't get any better than that!  Richard had special gold embroidered orange belts made for the Chiapas dresses for this show and new trenzas too. Here are some photos and the video links for you viewing enjoyment:
 






























 
 
 
The Video Links:
 
 
 
Lastly, the Region of Puebla.  Six chinas and six charros!  Yes, even the two chinas I wrote about on week 12 were included in the show!  Although the music was to be held until we got into position on stage, it didn't happen.  So dancers had to dance on and it was a little staggered at the beginning.  But it wasn't bad looking.  Even though it felt odd as a dancer.  I guess because I knew how it was suppose to be.  Anyway, the two dances performed were Jarabe Tapatio and Guadalajara. Guadalajara is the signature trademark ending for all Herencia shows.  The Herencia alumni in the audience were moved that Richard still ends his shows the same way after all these years. One even teared up with emotion, realizing the tradition continues on.  Afterwards we bowed and exited the stage to exit music.  Here is some pictures and video of the big finish. Check out the new hairpieces!
  
On a positive note, I had very little trouble with my sombrero!  Richard fixed the string on the back of my hat in a way that actually keeps it planted on my head - Nice and tight!  The Puebla portion was one another of my favorite parts of the whole show.  We received a lot of compliments on it. There was a folklorico boot casualty during the Puebla. A men's black boot lost its heel during the Jarabe.  I noticed it on stage as someone kicked it out of the way and it shot right past me!  This is a second time I have been in a show where this has happened to a dancer!  Last time was at Disney! Hope it never happens to me!  You can break an ankle from that!  I already walk funny as it is!

My personal feelings of the show is that it was an overall good show.  There were a few hairpiece and hat issues that could and should have been avoided.  But overall it was good.  The experience of performing the show was very different than watching the show.  We watched three videos by different people, from different angles.  Each one gave a different perspective.  There was room for improvement, however; folks really enjoyed the show and were entertained.  In fact, several shows have been booked due to the performance.  A good indication of a good show.  Even the fair coordinators were impressed, so that's a good sign.
 

After we exited the stage came the mad rush to get changed, packed up and moved out before the next group's turn. In a hurried chaos, everyone worked to get things done.  An extra special thanks to Carmen for staying over and helping organize the costumes for us.  After loading up the costume rack and storage bins, Richard and I wheeled the costumes back out to the car in the parking lot, loaded them up and then returned to the fair for some fun.  What kind of fun?  Food fun!

Unfortunately, due to the rush right after the performance to get out of the backstage area, I did not get a chance to go greet anyone in the audience.  My apologies.  There were many familiar faces that I would have enjoyed talking to.  A couple folks came to see us backstage.  One camera man even caught me changing! Aye!  There were two young ladies waiting to meet me after the show that I missed too.  I got messages from their parents telling me they wanted to meet me because I danced Chihuahua!  So I'm looking forward to meeting them someday, hopefully soon!

Richard and I had some Hot Dog On A Stick and sampled some other treats before we headed to the costume storage to unload.  Yes, the work never seems to end.  After a long, exhausting day of performing, we packed up the costume back into the unit.  That's it, the show was finally over!
 

We received lots of emails, Facebook messages and calls about the show afterwards.  Several Facebook friend requests as well!  We watched the videos and critiqued ourselves, noting areas needing improvement.  There is a lot of talent and potential within this group.  One of the compliments the group received was, "Your group has a very clean and polished look.  Very professional."  Thank you to all the dancers from Images Of Mexico, Sol de Mexico BF and Herencia Mexicana for all the hard work and effort.  Let's do it again soon, even better!
 
 
Personally, I made my share of mistakes, especially in the Chihuahua.  My timing was off on the polka step which cause the whole group to look bad.  Oops!  I also noticed many other little things that I did throughout the show that should have been more crisp as well.  I'm such a perfectionist! My journey continues as I strive to be better.  Thank goodness for all the videos.  They are great tools to learn by.  I received my share of compliments too!  I was told by one director in the audience that I had "good posture!"  What?  Me?  Guess that brace is working!  I was told by several others that I "danced well." Thank you!  I'm working hard at it!  I have a great teacher!  

So what's next?  Dia de Los Muertos in Riverside on November 2nd.  Check out the ad below!  Hope to see you all there!  There's a chance I may even get to try and dance the Region of Zacatecas!  Sol de Mexico Ballet Folklorico will be dancing as well!
 
 
 
There you have it, the 2013 LA County Fair experience!  You should start dancing now so you can be part of next years show!  Seriously!  Richard and I have already been discussing ideas for the 2014 Fair show and it will be something you won't want to miss!  So get involved today!
 

See you all next week for another Big Wedo blog!  Next week is about the history of Ballet Folklorico de Herencia Mexicana.  A lot of folks are wondering where we came from and who we are, so I am writing a post that will hopefully answer those questions!  You can check out my post on week 11 called "I Believe In Herencia" in the mean time.  That's it, Wedo out!

Contact Information for "The Big Wedo":

Google E-mail: onebigwedo@gmail.com
Facebook: One Big Wedo (Guero)
Twitter: Michael Smith @onebigwedo
Blogger: www.onebigwedo.blogspot.com

Contact Information for Ballet Folklorico de Herencia Mexicana:

Richard Solorzano, Director: (909) 201-1957
Facebook: Herencia Mexicana
E-Mail: Bf_herencia_mexicana@yahoo.com

Note: Looking for your own adventure or journey? Herencia is a great place to find one!  Folklorico lessons and performances are both available. Herencia Mexicana performs for private & public events of all kinds. Book your event today! Herencia Mexicana welcomes new students. No previous folklorico or dance experience required.  All are welcome.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment