Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Getting Started - Week 1

Welcome!  The Adventure Begins Here!


Ok, so right off the bat I want to address this whole wedo thing before I get emails and hate mail telling me how I spelled it wrong and how I'm just another uneducated ignorant white boy.  My response, "Lighten up!  Get a sense of humor."  But for those of you who are self appointed spelling gatekeepers and grammar guardians of the web, here you go:  Guero.  Wiktionary definition:  A word used in Mexico to denote a person of fair complexion or with blond or red hair.  There you have it.  In the United States it is often used as a word to describe white people.  A slang word meaning "white boy or whitey."  The slang Americanized spelling of the word, wedo, is no different than how other words are spelled in street slang.  For example, boy is often spelled boi or boii.  The list could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.  So relax and just go with it.  Laugh at how we spell words as to how they sound and not how they actually are.  And in my opinion, wedo is fitting for this 38 year old, 6'2", 220 lbs, bald headed white guy from Michigan, who doesn't speak a lick of Spanish.  I am one big wedo.


So how does someone like me, get involved in Mexican dancing?  Specifically, ballet folklorico.  I could say "love" but then I would lose all my readership.  I can hear you all gaging and hacking already.  Someone call the Lifetime channel!  I could say, "I got sucked into it" but that would probably raise some eyebrows as well.  So I will just respond with, "It caught my attention and I decided to give it a try.  Only to find out that I really enjoy it and so I'm sticking to it."  No, I'm not having a cultural identity crisis and trying to become Mexican.  I'm enjoying life as it comes my way.

So I hope you will go on a journey with me.  One that began in 2010.  Who knows, perhaps in a year from now when this blog finishes, you too will be dancing folklorico.  Perhaps even with me!  Not only would I like this blog to be about my journey but also a kind of "White Man's Guide to Folklorico Dancing."  We shall see how this all ends up.  Until next week....

PLEASE NOTE:  MANY OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND PICTURES IN THIS BLOG ARE NOT MY OWN.  MANY OF THE IMAGES WERE TAKEN FROM GOOGLE FREE IMAGES.  I DO NOT OWN THE COPYRIGHTS NOR DO I TAKE ANY CREDIT FOR THEM.  NO VIOLATION OR INFRINGEMENT IS INTENDED.  IF I HAVE USED YOUR IMAGE AND YOU DO NOT WANT IT TO BE INCLUDED IN THIS BLOG FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF OTHERS, PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT ONEBIGWEDO@GMAIL.COM AND IT WILL BE REMOVED.  ONE BIG WEDO IS NOT A MONEY MAKING VENTURE.  IT IS A FREE SERVICE.  THANK YOU.   

Contact Information for "The Big Wedo":

Google E-mail: onebigwedo@gmail.com
Facebook: One Big Wedo (Guero)
Twitter: Michael Smith @onebigwedo
Blogger: www.onebigwedo.blogspot.com

Contact Information for Ballet Folklorico de Herencia Mexicana:

Richard Solorzano, Director: (909) 201-1957
Facebook: Herencia Mexicana
E-Mail: Bf_herencia_mexicana@yahoo.com

Note: Looking for your own adventure or journey? Herencia is a great place to find one!  Folklorico lessons and performances are both available. Herencia Mexicana performs for private & public events of all kinds. Book your event today! Herencia Mexicana welcomes new students. No previous folklorico or dance experience required.  All are welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Wedo you sure can ramble on and on, viva la Mexico. You are becoming a representative of the dance, aand have greatly inproved, I should know, I have seen you from the beginning,you had no rythme, but now that WEDO can dance!

    ReplyDelete