Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Flaming Folklorico!!! - Week 24

Hello & Welcome my friends!  So glad to have Japan and Taiwan join the journey this week.  Can't wait to go for a visit.  Yes, a world tour is a must!  I also want to welcome the Ukraine and Netherlands back to the blog.  It's nice to see you again!  Anyways, my apologies for publishing a bit late last Sunday.  I have been extremely busy preparing for this Denver weekend of performances.  In fact this week is a very short week, only two days of writing time.  So, this week's post is nice and short.  Should be good for all you readers with a short attention span!  My stats for last week's post show a slump in readership so your homework assignment this week from the Big Wedo is to read last week's post "Man Up Or Sit Down".  How will I ever make it to 3000 pageviews by week 26 if I don't have readership?  Therefore, I am asking that you share the heck out of the blog in the next few weeks so I can achieve my goal! 


This week someone posted on my Facebook an interesting quote that ties in well with last week's post.  Here it is, "Wanting to be someone you're not is a waste of the person you are."  I couldn't agree more.  Oh how we strive to be something that is expected of us or conform ourselves into what is accepted.  Nonetheless, I am off to Wal-Mart this week to purchase a bottle of Just For Men.  I want to cover the gray for Denver!  "I'm gonna wash that gray right out of my.....goatee!"  I think my eyebrows are still ok.  And for those who prefer the spelling "grey", "I'm going to wash that grey right out of my....hare!"  I mean, hair.


In lieu of last week's post, a follower of the blog suggested that I create a drink in honor of the "flaming folklorico".  Thank you Sean for the idea and the official name.  Now I have mentioned before that I am interested in learning how to bar tend.  I'm no mixologist.  But I love this idea and I am running with it.  So here you have it:  Week 24 - "Flaming Folklorico!"


FLAMING FOLKLORICO:

When I think of the term "Flaming Folklorico" several things come to mind:  Spicy, Fruity, Tequila, Lemons, Limes, Chili, Shots and the like.  In an effort to create a drink that is legit.  I researched the web for "how to create your own shot" and Google directed me to a site called "Drinks Meister:  Make Your Own Spicy Shot."  Sounds perfect!  What a terrific resource to help me get started.  Ingredients suggested include mango, ginger, chili and agave syrup or nectar.  Those sound fun.  They also recommended to use Vodka, but I want Tequila to keep with a Mexican rooted theme.  Based on all these ingredient suggestions, I've created my own signature shot.  And since this is the Big Wedo's signature shot, you have to use blanco Tequila or white for obvious reasons!  Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the "Flaming Folklorico"


Here's the ingredients you'll need to gather:

Fruit of your preference:  preferably lemon or mango
Lime
Ginger Root
Chili
Agave Syrup (Nectar) or Acacia Honey
Premium Tequila - blanco, white, clear
Tapatio Hot Sauce


Depending on what you personally like, choose your fruit base:  I recommend either lemon, mango, orange or you can substitute it with a fruit of your choice.  You can pick.  Folklorico is rather diverse so whatever fruit you want to use is fine with me.  But for the rest of the drink follow these specific instructions:


Peel the ginger and wash the chilies.  Cut up the fruit of your choice into pieces.  Place the ginger, fruit, chilies, syrup/nectar/honey in a pot with a little extra water and bring to a boil.  As far as the chilies, you can pick your poison, but go with something hot - a variety of jalapeno, Cayenne Tabasco, Serrano or habanero is recommended.  I also like color as folklorico is full of colorful costumes.  So pick a nice orange or red chili for decoration at the end to adorn the top of the shot glass.

 

An interesting note on chili is that there are three primary spellings for this vegetable in the English language: chili, chile and chilli.  Some of these peppers are so intense that terms like "viper" and "scorpion" are used in their names!  Makes you start to sweat already!


Agave syrup is also called agave nectar.  I had trouble finding it in the store I went to.  I looked for it in the International Foods aisle.  I have been told that it is located in the aisle with the sweeteners.  So if you have trouble finding it too, take a look where the sugar is - hopefully you'll find it. 

As the brew is boiling in the pot, taste along the way, when it is sufficiently strong and slightly sharp - you've arrived.  You want to achieve a sweet, fruity and hot combo. You want something that will burn at both ends that will make you dance!  Remove pot from the heat and let the mix cool down.  Pour into a container and you have your mix ready.


The "Flaming Folklorico" is a double shot so use a double shot glass.  First rub the rim of the shot glass with a chili.  Then add one shot of Premium Tequila of your choice.  Make sure that it is good, classy and smooth brand.  No cheap Tequila!  I know Patron is a favorite, so if you don't have one of your own I recommend Patron.  Then add a shot of the fruity brew minus the chucks of fruit, ginger and chili.  Then add two drops of Tapatio hot sauce (one for each foot) and some fresh squeezed lime.  Add a small chili for accent and BAM!  The Flamining Folklorico!  Call yourself "La Bruja de Wedo"!


Note:  One recommendation was to set the drink on fire, literally!  I know this is done but I want the chili to do all the work.  I'm also concerned that since this is a shot, someone may burn their lips.  However, if your brave enough to do so then light it up!  According to various online resources, alcohol will ignite at 40 proof, however the higher the proof the better.  So 80 proof is better.  151 proof is guaranteed to produce a flame.  Also water content in the drink is a factor as to whether the drink will light up.  So if you choose this option, then you may need to play around with it and alter the alcohol used in the shot to produce this effect.  Good luck and send me pictures.  


PRESENTATION:

As I've mentioned before, "You only get one 'shot' to make a first impression."  So the presentation of the Flaming Folklorico is equally as important.  Make it a big production!  I have been gathering pieces of Mexican culture to use in the presentation of the shot.  Part of the fun of this drink is dressing it up.  So go to town and shop for your own Mexican items for the presentation! 


I know that often times when people do shots of Tequila, a whistle is blown and a ruckus is created.  So I recommend sonajas for this drink.  As the drinker prepares to do the shot, onlookers rattle sonajas and cheer him or her on.  Then after the brew slides down the esophagus, the drinker needs to boldly exclaim, "Flaming Folklorico!"


Keep the environment fun and festive.  I would even recommend cloaking the brave shot drinker in a brightly colored serape and adorning their head with a sombrero.  Just remember the 3 S's:  Sonajas, Sombrero and Serape - the perfect party companions!


My hope is that this drink will become a party favorite.  I think it combines so many aspects of the Mexican culture and dance that results in it being richly folklorico!  As far as the taste of it, well, it's going to be one of those shots you either love or hate.  Might be one of those shots you surprise a friend with unexpectedly!  Depending on the person, it may even result in a folklorico fergle.  Oh My!

I personally have not had a chance to try it out yet, but I promise you I will.  I think orange or lemon lime will be my personal preference.  I will let you know how it goes!  Everyone is cautioned to drink it at your own risk! 

COLORADO:

Colorado, ready or not, here we come!  We are off this week to Colorado for Denver Pridefest.  To my surprise, I saw some pictures of me on the web on some sites promoting our arrival!  Friday night we are dancing in a club - see the ad below - and on Saturday and Sunday we will be on the Latin stage during the early afternoon.  Be sure if your in the area to stop and check out the shows!  Also be sure to introduce yourself and say "Hi".  It has been hot in Denver.  Reports of temperatures in the 100's.  I'm ready to sweat for ya'll!  And I thought my shot was hot!  Also planning on seeing some Herencia alumni there in Denver!  That should be fun! 


We have been practicing long hours to be ready for the shows.  And true to the Herencia way, I learned a Sinaloa dance at the last minute that Richard wanted in the show.  This will be my first attempt at Sinaloa on stage.  There's lots of fast turns that get you dizzy.  I may just spin right off the stage and end up in someone's lap or arms!  That could be interesting.  Be sure to get up close to catch the wedo!  Anyway, this last minute preparation has added to the inspiration for an upcoming post called "Tiffs and Tantrums!"  That should give you something to look forward to! 

In closing, I just want to apologize for a mistake in my blog posts.  As I was writing this week, I realized I've been spelling Tapatio wrong.  In a panic, I went back to as many older posts I could get through and corrected my error.  I am so sorry.  The Jarabe Tapatio is such an important dance to the Mexican culture and I meant no disrespect.  I will be going thoroughly through all the posts to make the correction after we get back from Denver!  In the mean time, enjoy this one last look at the "Flaming Folklorico" presentation.  Enjoy!  And if you try the shot - write me and tell me how it went.  I feel a "Flaming Folklorico - Part 2" coming on!  Until then, wedo out!


Note:  Fact of Interest:  All specific Flaming Folklorico photographs were taken by the Big Wedo himself on his IPhone in his studio - A.K.A the living room couch. 

Contact Information for "The Big Wedo":

Google E-mail: onebigwedo@gmail.com
Facebook: One Big Wedo (Guero)
Twitter: Michael Smith @onebigwedo
Blogger: www.onebigwedo.blogspot.com

Contact Information for Ballet Folklorico de Herencia Mexicana:

Richard Solorzano, Director: (909) 201-1957
Facebook: Herencia Mexicana
E-Mail: Bf_herencia_mexicana@yahoo.com

Note: Looking for your own adventure or journey? Herencia is a great place to find one! Herencia Mexicana practices in Duarte, California.  Folklorico lessons and performances are both available. Herencia Mexicana performs for private & public events of all kinds. Book your event today! Herencia Mexicana welcomes new students. No previous folklorico or dance experience required.
All are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment