Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Veracruz Presented By Herencia Mexicana - Week 25

Welcome Back!  Thank you Denver!  What an awesome time performing for all the people who came out to see us in Colorado.  I will be sharing the entire experience in the weeks to come.  Although I have been to Colorado many times, I fell in love with Colorado on this trip and I hope to visit you all again soon.  What an amazing place.  Also a very special thank you to readers Mak A, Farrah Starr and Beata Klis for +1ing my blog on Google and sharing it with the world.  I appreciate that so many have shared it with friends and family through Facebook and Twitter as well.  Keep up the great job!

This week I wanted to try something a little different.  I have been browsing blogs here on Blogger and have noticed that there are several picture only blogs.  This week I am want to give my readers more of a visual experience.  Specifically, I want to share with everyone Veracruz - both the State and the Regional Dancing.  So this week is a special treat for all my photo loving readers.


Before we go on the visual tour, let me give you some brief commentary.  If there is one region of dancing that I would claim was Herencia Mexicana's signature region - it would have to be Veracruz.  Herencia dances many regions, but Richard has really worked on the details for Veracruz particularly.  In my opinion, it stands out above the rest, hence why I have chosen this region first for a visual experience. 


The State of Veracruz:

This is what Wikipedia has to say about the state of Veracruz:


"Veracruz, formally Veracruz de Ignacia de la Llave, officially Free and Sovereign State of Veracruz de Ignacia de le Llave (Spanish:  Estado Libre y Soberano de Veracruz de Ignacio de la Llave), is one of the 31 states that, along with the Federal District, comprise the 32 federative entities of Mexico.  It is divided in 212 municipalities and its capital city is Xalapa-Enriquez.  It is located in Eastern Mexico.  It is bordered by the states of Tamaulipas to the north, San Luis Potosi and Hidalgo to the west, Puebla to the southwest, Oaxaca and Chiapas to the south and Tabasco to the southeast.  To the east, Veracruz has a significant share of coastline on the Gulf of Mexico.  The state is noted for its mixed ethnic and large indigenous populations.  Its cuisine reflects the many cultural influences that have come through the state because of the importance of the port of Veracruz.  In addition to the capital city, the state's largest cities include Veracruz, Coatzacoalcos, Cordoba, Minatitlan, Poza Rica, Boca Del Rio and Orizaba."






The City of Veracruz:
Within the State of Veracruz is the city of Veracruz, they share the same name.  Here is what Wikipedia states about the city of Veracruz:

"Veracruz, officially known as Heroica Veracruz, is a major port city and municipality on the Gulf of Mexico in the Mexican state of Veracruz.  The city is located in the central part of the state, 90 km (56 mi) from the state capital Xalapa along Federal Highway 140.  It is the state's most populous city, with a population that is actually greater than the municipality's population, since part of the city of Veracruz extends into the neighboring Boca del Rio Municipality.  At the 2010 census, the city had 554,830 inhabitants, 428,323 in Veracruz Municipality and 126,507 in Boca del Rio Municipality.  Veracruz is Mexico's oldest, largest, and historically most significant port since European colonization.

Past & Present Images of Veracruz - City & State:













 



Looks like a beautiful place to go for a visit.  Who's with me?  I think I deserve a tour of Mexico.

Regional Dancing:

Here's some dance and musical history from houstonculture.org

"Veracruz (East)

Veracruz
The Spanish influence in this eastern coast state is stark, as it was in early Tejas when Spaniards were issued large land grants as rewards. It was and still is an important trading port. The Spanish costume shows the white guayabera pants and shirts and red waist sash and straw hat. The women wear imported white lace dresses; their hair up in buns in a comb and shawls, or rebozos, accompanied by fans. The style of dance: bambas, and huapangos, which are greatly influenced by flamenco steps. The music is mostly acoustical, violin and harp, which were influenced during the conquest and also penetrated by elements of the Arab, African, German, Dutch, and other European cultures. The African peoples who arrived during the Spanish colonization period as slaves, mainly to the coastal regions in the south of the country contributed greatly to the tropical rhythm. Finally, note the secondary influence of inhabitants of the Caribbean islands, South American countries, the Southern states of the U.S., and some of the European countries which had a direct or indirect intervention in the early history of Mexico. Spanish names mostly replaced indigenous names."


As far as the dancing is concerned, a details of interest for the spectator is that the skirt work is a representation of the waves of the ocean.  So next time you see a folklorico performance with Veracruz, allow the skirt work to cause you to think of the ocean waves.  Also, depending on which side the woman wears the flowers on her hairpiece, signifies whether the woman is married or single.  If the hairpiece flowers are worn to the right, then she is single.  If they are worn to the left then she is married - same as a wedding band on the left hand.  In Herencia, all the women wear their hairpieces to the right as partners switch throughout the performance.  It would be inappropriate for a married woman to have multiple dance partners, therefore all our dancers are single - in appearance anyways!  The bandanna is for her to wipe the perspiration from her face in the humid environment.  The apron is to show off the exquisite embroidery that the region is known for.  Rebozos are for warmth in the evening time and are worn as a shawl over the shoulders.  The fan is both used for comfort and an instrument of flirting.

Herencia Photos of Veracruz Dancing & Costumes - Past & Present:

















 
  
 


 




































































 
CLOSING REMARKS:

Please note that all photos used in my blog posts remain the property and copyright of those who own them.  Not all photos are my own, nor do I claim them to be.  I will continue to add Veracruz pictures to this post in weeks to come.  Check back for updates. 

Recently, as I was researching for ideas for my One Big Wedo logo, I was surfing the web looking at all kinds of folklorico images.  Ironically when I Google searched "folklorico cartoons", as I was scrolling through all the pictures, suddenly my picture came up!  So that's what they think of me!  Funny, it wasn't even a cartoon image of me but my actual picture.  What's that about?  I guess since I am using the term "One Big Wedo", they decided to lump me into the category of cartoons.  Anyway, check it out for yourself.  I feel an action figure coming on! 

I will definitely be doing several more of these photo blogs in the future.  The next region - Chihuahua!  I will be also posting a picture blog of my all time favorite "One Big Wedo" photos - perhaps they will see that I am a person and not a cartoon.  However, my logo will be a cartoon.  Hopefully it will be ready to reveal soon.  Stay tuned!

Thank you everyone for your readership, promotion, sharing, feedback and support.  I'm almost half way through and there is still a lot I hope to do!  Until next week....wedo out!


Contact Information for "The Big Wedo":

Google E-mail: onebigwedo@gmail.com
Facebook: One Big Wedo (Guero)
Twitter: Michael Smith @onebigwedo
Blogger: www.onebigwedo.blogspot.com

Contact Information for Ballet Folklorico de Herencia Mexicana:

Richard Solorzano, Director: (909) 201-1957
Facebook: Herencia Mexicana
E-Mail: Bf_herencia_mexicana@yahoo.com

Note: Looking for your own adventure or journey? Herencia is a great place to find one!  Folklorico lessons and performances are both available. Herencia Mexicana performs for private & public events of all kinds. Book your event today! Herencia Mexicana welcomes new students. No previous folklorico or dance experience required.
All are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment